BLOCK_CHAIN > THE POWER OF TWO is a series of innovative and collaborative two week, residencies online. The project runs from 9 January - 8 March 2018.
Artists will work in pairs to produce individual, yet relational work, which probes their interpretation of the theme ‘dissent’ be that political, personal environmental, societal, or material dissent.
Digital images will be exhibited on Instagram with the hashtag #BlockChainDissentArt. A generative and relational output of digital images and observational writing will culminate in a symposium on the theme of dissent at Winchester Gallery, Winchester School of Art.
BLOCK_CHAIN > THE POWER OF TWO was designed by CAS Associate Artist Susan Francis. It expands upon CAS’ emerging dissent methodology and aims to engage artists and audiences in creative experimentation, observation and discussion.
CAS uses Dissent as an Interrogative and Collaborative Artistic Tool
We do this by...
- Encouraging individual and subjective responses, namely "the presence of multiple voices”
- "What would you do differently?" Empowering individuals and groups to identify new and innovative ways of thinking and making through critical and open discourse.
- Finding ways to ‘open’ the dialogue across borders of disciple and identity, thus inviting challenge from outside as well as within.
- Reflecting on the moments we/artists take a consensual or dissensual position and how that informs the collaboration.
- Collaborative play introduces and reinforces the CAS ethos and approach through making
- Documenting theories and practices in order to track how ideas and experiences become diffracted through the viewpoint of multiple participants.